Sunday 20 November 2011

Ugly writing is a beautiful thing

I've just spent the afternoon powering through the 2nd Act of the script in as
deliberately ugly and awkward a way as possible, in preparation for a 4th
draft

The temptation to write beautifully is a terrible curse. You get instant
acclaim, and it certainly helps to sell an idea,but its all to easy use the
elegant handwaving to obscure grotty holes in the structure.

It reminds me of the life-classes I did in the art room at school; I always
got high marks despite appalling draftsmanship because I polished the product
up so nicely that who cared the models elbow was in the wrong place.

Now I am resisting all my instincts to make the prose I am writing atractive.
It's just bits of old words flung together and held up with string and gaffer
tape. Without the glamour and the polish and the handwaving only one thing
will make the story still stay up.

The truth.

If it's true, then it will still be standing tomorrow.

If not - well, I just have to pull it apart and stick it together again, until
it does stand up.

And that will, belatedly, be far more satisfying.

+++++

In other news - I just slid past the bread department at Waitrose and scored
£13.00 worth of poilane for - wait for it - £1.16.

Sourdough, walnut, rye - It will all go in the freezer and come out a slice at
a time for toasting.

I love Sunday nights at Waitrose.

No comments: