Wednesday 26 September 2007

I will be living for the next few weeks in a cottage on the edge of England – much further north and I'd be in Scotland. It has the potential to be bleak, but it's actually quite a gentle landscape in the eyes of someone brought up within sight of the Brecon Beacons and the Black Mountains. Drier too.

The northiness does have quite an impact on the seasons; in Herefordshire summer is only just over – here it feels like deep Autumn. The skies are blue, but there is frost on the breeze, and the grass is dying back rapidly on the hillside.

So far, so picturesque – what I should also mention is that the cottage is over a mile from the road (a brisk climb through oak wood land), has no electricity (wood stove, oil lamp, solar radio (Radio 4 and 3), extended life battery for this laptop, and no running water, (trips to the spring at the back.)

It's not as isolated or hard as it first sounds – I have family at the bottom of the hill, who are being very tolerant in regard of hot showers, laundry and TV. I am updating the blog via the mobile phone (but can't comment on any entries until I hit the wonders of broadband at the weekend.

In fact it's rather blissful; my breakfast is cooking on an iron bakestone (a little bit of the Welsh Borders that I brought up here with me), the coffee is popping over a pot-warmer, and I am planning a day's writing, the third full day since I started my short sabbatical from the world of paid employment to complete the script.

I'm using the opportunity to visit various parts of the family while working – in October Orford in Suffolk, in November back to Wales and Hereford, with research and movie time in London (in time for the festival.)

When I can, I'll post some pictures of the cottage and my desk.

1 comment:

Historical Wit said...

Well your location sounds fabulous. If there was a running stream to fly fish in, it would be perfection.

Post more when you can, sounds like a grand time.