Tuesday 9 October 2007

Eastward Ho

Having been in the North for two weeks I am now in the east - Suffolk (Orford to be precise.)

It was in a converted pigsty a few miles from here, in 2002, that I wrote the first draft of Translations. I'd been stuck at home with bronchitis and wanted to escape. Foot and mouth had left holiday cottages empty, and so I was able to rent the pigsty (which was very sweet). I took a pound of coffee, my very first suitcase and an elderly 'laptop' running windows 3.1 and textpad. Without a car I was forced to walk everywhere.

The story came out in huge chunks - 4 hours at a time.

This time there are more distractions (i.e., company) but I am gratified to discover that the story is coming in big blocks. Must be all that sky.

2 comments:

Historical Wit said...

You are quite the traveler! for a writer that goes with my theory that scenery inspires and change of scenery changes inspiration. Keep on keeping on!

Anonymous said...

Hey there - just read your blog . glad to see the story is getting on well .
the change of scene must be a good inspiration .. ! all is well here - the usual deadlines and late nights :)
write in sometime .
Sundeep