Tuesday 24 November 2009

Recession?

I very rarely travel between 5 and 7; I got out of the habit years ago,
when trains were crowded, hot and sticky. I made more sense to stay
close to work, drinking coffee and writing for a few more hours before
heading home.

Today I went home at 6.15 because I had bread dough rising in the
kitchen, and realised that if I didn't get it punched down and shaped by
7 I would be pulling out of the oven at midnight.

I was shocked to get a seat.
The train wasn't empty by any means, but 2 years ago, at 6.15, I would
have been travelling on my hind legs, with my nose pressed against
someone else's back or armpit.

Anyway. The bread is punched down and rising again, and I am in my
local boozer, drinking a very nice red wine and hacking about at Act 3
AGAIN.

No comments: