Wednesday 19 August 2009

Back Up Back Up Back Up part 2

Now - here's where synchronicity comes in.

Until last week I had a fairly limited back-up via Mozy
<http://mozy.com>. It was free, but limited to 2GB, so I just set up to
copy the crucial bits (work in progress, admin etc).

Then, out of the blue I realised how much I would miss the other 30 odd
GB of stuff - pictures, music, etc, and signed up for the paid option,
at $5 a month.
For days the laptop chuntered away to itself, uploading all my rubbish
to mozy's servers, bit by bit, until early last week it flashed up COMPLETE.

Talk about timing!

So, on that last leg of the delayed train into darkest Hereford, I was
left with 4 questions:

1.) Had I been on-line in the morning, between 10 and 11, to ensure that
the Film draft was backed up with the rest? (Mozy runs in the
background every morning - no connection, no backup)

2.) Would Mozy live up to its promises and allow me to restore all the
files it had so laboriously backed up a week earlier?

3.) Was my baby repairable or would I have to buy yet another little
machine to save my life?

4.) And just how long would all this take?

No comments: