Thursday 2 April 2009

Ah - is that a communication solution on the horizon?

Orange promise that "Unique" could be the answer to my communication
dilemmas.

It's a home wireless system, that as well as providing broadband access
through an existing landline will switch my mobile onto a landline
connection as soon as I walk into the range of the wireless router, and
charge calls at their landline rates (free at evenings and weekends).

Is anyone out there already using this? Does it work as seamlessly as
it promises?

If it does work, this would a.) completely bypass the problem of getting
mobile coverage in the flat, and b.) allow me to keep the same number
when I move back to the Stone Caravan. (Orange is the only network with
any coverage in the Valley)

It might also solve the disappearing email problem, which I suspect is
down to the hinki-ness of using an SMTP which is not tied to my ISP.)

I would still have to install a new landline, via BT, with a one-off
connection charge, and a monthly rental fee - but I'd be more inclined
to do this if I didn't also have to collect yet another phone number,
handset or sim to stay in touch.

Of course, then I'll run out of excuses for not returning calls - but
you can't have everything in life!

No comments: