Wednesday 1 April 2009

Oh hell, I seem to be walking around in my own mobile communications blackspot!

I confess, I am not the most regular of correspondents. But this is now
beyond a joke.

For some reason a number of emails sent to me over the past few weeks
have gone missing. Not bounced, not in spam folders - just gone.

So, here is the list:

(a.) Mobile: Almost no mobile phone coverage in my current
flat. Catching what there is involves kneeling on the floor exactly 3
feet from the window, with the phone and my ear on the floorboards - and
that cuts out every few minutes.
(b.) Landline: I have limited use of my flatmates. Having my own
line put in will cost £300 in the first year.
(c.) Broadband: I use my flatmates - but it's often not strong enough
for skype. Can't use mobile broadband (see (a.) above - no signal), see
(d.) Email: There is a blackhole in my account, eating
incoming emails at random (sorry JJ and Corry and anyone else who thinks
I am ignoring them.)

This of course doesn't even touch the 4-5 hours a day when I am zoned
out, talking to imaginary friends in Ethiopia - (AKA writing a screenplay).

Making contact is becoming as arduous a process as it must have been
back in the 30s, booking long-distance calls to Australia three days in
advance.

I apologise to the world.
But who could imagine that it would be easier and cheaper to communicate
from an 600 year old watchtower, 2 miles from the nearest power point,
in a snowstorm, than from an apartment in the centre of the one of the
world's most comprehensively over-wired cities.

On a more cheery note - despite (because of) oversleeping this morning I
have finished 4 pages of detailed revision this morning.
And as the flatmate is hosting a Prayer Meeting in the living room
tonight, I will probably stay out and write even more!

1 comment:

JJ said...

That wouldn't be Corry of SS fame? The bracelet maker? Waves furiously...Hi Corry! I still have the bracelet and wear it from time to time.

JJ