Friday 30 October 2009

As I recover from the week of mechanical suckiness and generalised rage,
I realise that the huge difference between the systems at the Stone
Caravan and the wider world is not that those in the wilderness as
simpler or less likely to fail (although not having electricity
certainly makes life calmer) but that when anything up there goes wrong
- I am wholly responsible for the disaster and its resolution.

And that makes life so much more pleasant.

Alarm clock fail? Well that means the sun didn't come up, so either the
world has come to an end, or it's raining.
Why would I get out of bed for either event?

Radio fail?
See above for lack of sun. Get cranking on the handle if I want to
listen to the Archers.

Plumbing fail?
Splash to spring with bucket, and remember to boil the water for coffee.

Coffee fail?
Well that will teach me to forget to put the coffee in my backpack,
won't it. Where's the rum.

Transport fail?
The landrover's stuck in the muck again. Gravity is my friend - on a
slope this steep it will just it will roll out again. And then, walk
dammit, 'cos that's the only way I'm going to get coffee today.

No comments: