Saturday 31 October 2009

More mechanical disasters...

The alarm clock finally gave up the ghost last night - I had ordered the
new part, but unfortunately the postal strike has held it up.


Luckily I noticed in time - I had a 7am train to catch this morning, so
tumbling out of bed by 5.50am was a must...
Unluckily, I only noticed at 1am, when I turned over and woke just
enough to register the weird display...

So - new alarm method needed. Easy - mobile phone... uh-oh, phone down
to one bar (was planning to recharge on train).

So, light on, unpack, find USB charger and laptop, plug in both, start
to charge... Just enough juice to ensure that the phone will wake me in
time.

Try to get back to sleep. No go. The minutes tick by, trips to
bathroom, check on phone, try again...

Finally fall asleep at 2.30, wake at 5.50, repack all the gear, dress,
sneak sleepily downstairs, cross London, catch train with 5 minutes to
spare.

Of course, if I had been 5 minutes late I would have forfeited the train
ticket and been forced to buy a £110 return to get North.

Which makes it even more ironic that the Train I worked so hard to catch
is now running... 45 minutes late, and the best National Express can
offer for the inconvenience is £15 worth of non-negotiable vouchers,
which can not be used for online bookings.

- Yawn -

No comments: